WHAT DO I DO NOW?
I've been scouring the internet for a long time looking for any kind of help I can get for my partner and love of my life. We live in the UK, so setting up a free consultation in your office is not going to be possible, but I was wondering if you could give me some advice?
Here's a bit about his medical history.
He broke his back when he was 17 (he is now in his 40's). He has had four spinal surgeries which have left him in constant agony. He is at the point where he wants to end his life as he cannot live like this anymore. I am doing everything in my power to try and find help for him!
- Surgery one - Spinal fusion - Failed
- Surgery two - Spinal fusion with steffi plates and bolts - Failed
- Surgery three - removal of plates and bolts and another fusion - Failed
- Surgery four - 2008, they removed part of his spine and replaced it with a steel cage - Failed
Now the doctors wont do anything except give him tablets and new pain medication. His surgeon is refusing any more surgeries.
His back is deteriorating and he is physically changing shape (he says it feels like his spine is splitting apart and the weight of the top half of his body is pushing out his stomach and feels like the spine is moving forward. He also feels that his pelvis is shifting and tilting forward). After all his latest MRI's and x-rays, the doctors are claiming there is no change.
I love this man deeply with all my heart and he now spends 97% of his time laying on his stomach on the living room floor. Walking causes him extreme pain, and sitting is practically impossible for him.
I am at a loss! I don't know what else to do and I was wondering if you could, by what I've told you, let me know if you think any of your treatments would work for him? I would be willing to sell my house to get us over to America - we are extremely poor at the moment as he cannot work, and I also suffer from a herniated disk and bilateral sciatica which limits how much work I can do. Or even if you could recommend any similar therapists in the UK. I know I shouldn't ask that as I don't want to take business away from you or anything of the sort, I'm just at a loss as to what else I can do to help him!
Eagerly awaiting your reply, and thank you so much for taking the time to read this.
Wow! Absolutely heartbreaking. I often weep as I read stories like this. The problem is that change the names, the dates, and stories just a little bit, and this sort of thing is common ---- way too common! The first thing I can tell you is that it would do no good for you to sell your house. The solution is not coming to America. Although there are some people over there who can undoubtedly help you, as much as anything, you are going to have to help yourself while you are searching. I realize that this is going to be difficult, but it is your only real hope. If I or a family member were in your shoes, here is what I would do. Understand that I am not giving medical advice here or telling you to do these things. The information in this post is just that ---- information only; and should not be construed as medical advice or a diagnosis. Do not try any of this without first consulting your physician. Now that that's out of the way........
- YOUR SOLUTION WILL NOT BE PERFECTION: No doubt you already know this. With a problem like yours, I am not really sure how much better it can get; I just know that if you do the right things, it can get better.
- DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE / KEEP SEARCHING FOR ANSWERS: I completely believe that for every problem out there, someone somewhere has the solution. The internet is a great source for finding these answers. If you put all your trust in EVIDENCE BASED MEDICINE, you will likely never achieve the results you are looking for.
- UNDERSTAND INFLAMMATION: If you do not understand what INFLAMMATION really is (as well as what drives it), you have no real hope at finding a long-lasting solution to your problem.
- UNDERSTAND THE LINK BETWEEN GUT HEALTH AND OVERALL HEALTH: Inflammation is often driven by LEAKY GUT SYNDROME and visa versa. Understanding GUT HEALTH is critical to getting healthy enough for your body to begin to heal itself. The old adage from the practice of Natural Medicine is "Heal the Gut, Heal the Body".
- CONTROL YOUR BLOOD SUGAR: I just wrote about this the other day (HERE). No matter what sort of health problem you are dealing with, this is big-time critical! The really cool thing about eating a diet that controls Blood Sugar is that it is just a short leap to a GLUTEN FREE DIET. If you do not understand how much Gluten affects Inflammation, you have not been clicking the links.
- TRY INVERSION: Get a decent INVERSION TABLE and do what I call "hovering" (read the link). With the right kind of Inversion Table, you can actually do this on your belly if that is what is comfortable for you. You might even try Spinal Decompression Therapy, but finding someone to (gently) work on a person who has been through multiple spinal surgeries could be a challenge.
- TRY COLD LASER THERAPY: COLD LASER THERAPY is awesome because like most of the other bullet points above, there is absolutely no potential for it to make you worse.
Don't get me wrong, there are many others that could be put on this list. The thing is, since most health problems have at least some degree of COMMON ORIGIN (and HERE), they naturally must have to at least some degree, a COMMON SOLUTION as well. Begin by radically changing your diet (HERE) to decrease Inflammation, and see what happens. And never stop searching for answers. Oh; one more thing. See if there is a Functional Neurologist in your area who has been trained by DR TED CARRICK.